Thursday, September 3, 2009

Interesting Telephone Meeting With Rep. Minnick (D-ID)

Interesting Telephone Meeting With Rep. Minnick (D-ID)

A couple of nights ago, I received a phone call that let me join into a telephone town meeting with Rep. Minnick (D-ID) concerning health care. I was really quite impressed--if there were more Democrats like this, I wouldn't regard the Democrats quite so negatively. (Of course, on either coast, someone like this wouldn't stand a chance of winning the Democratic nomination for Congress.) He made it quite clear that he was not supportive of the so-called "public option," apparently because he can see that the goal of it is to destroy the private insurers. He was also quite supportive of looking for ways to increase competition in the health insurance market--although he was also arguing for regulations to prevent insurers from refusing or dropping coverage based on pre-existing conditions.

I guess what I found most encouraging is that Minnick was saying that rather than push for a health care reform bill that represent some Democratic views, that it would make more sense to push for reforms that enjoy broad, bipartisan support. But that wouldn't be the corrupt dirty package that Pelosi and real Democrats want, so I'm guessing that Minnick's not going to get his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment