Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I Studied the Trigonometry

I Studied the Trigonometry

If you enjoyed the British comedy series Mr. Bean, you will immediately recognize this line from an episode where he shows up to take a college exam, and discovers that no, it isn't about trigonometry!

Anyway, the test this morning, which was effectively an ACT Practice Exam, had a bit of trig on it--but less, and easier than I was expecting. Even better, they didn't expect you remember the Law of Cosines (c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos C), but provided the formula.

What I wasn't expecting--but I should have--was way too much analytic geometry--the stuff that I did very well in, long, long ago. Now I was having to remember--does +C on a linear equation move the line above origin or below it? (Now that I am not under the pressure of the test, of course, it's easy to remember--it moves the line up.) And lots of related annoyances.

No comments:

Post a Comment