Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Corvette Got Dinged Pretty Good Today

The Corvette Got Dinged Pretty Good Today

From noon onward yesterday and most of today was spent helping my daughter and son-in-law get moved into their new house, and getting our old one ready for the new owner. I parked the Corvette across the street this morning, while driving the monstrous U-Haul.

When I was ready to live, as I approached the car, I found a note on the windshield informing me that the note leaver had seen a green SUV back out of a driveway and into the Corvette--and then leave, without leaving a note (as required by law).



I didn't see any damage, until I got around to the rear of the car--and the damage was very substantial. I'm guessing that it is going to be in low thousands to repair. (Fiberglass: you can't just pound out a dent.)


Click to enlarge


Because I know the neighbor from whose driveway the green SUV came, I asked her--and she had an idea who it might be--a very elderly person who my neighbor thought might not have realized that she had hit a car. A few phone calls later, and I had the person--who responded that she didn't think she did any damage, thought about leaving a note, but decided that if she did do any damage, "I'm sure that someone would track me down."

Fortunately, one of my more responsible neighbors in the Legends was passing by, so I was able to track down the irresponsible party. Otherwise, I would not have been able to track her down, and hold her responsible. My insurer got hold of her insurer. Without this information, I would have been stuck with a $250 deductible and responsibility for renting a car while the Corvette is in the body shop.

I was initially concerned that perhaps this elderly driver was perhaps getting past her ability to drive, if she didn't realize that she bashed in a big chunk of my car--but the more I thought about her response, the more I realized that she was just hoping that she wouldn't be held responsible for it. I filed a police report for hit and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment