Thursday, December 20, 2007

I Do NOT Want To Give Up My Corvette

But it isn't looking good. My rationale for maybe buying a beater 4WD was, "They keep state highway 55 pretty well cleared--I only need to get back and forth to the Old Highway." But last night, I was following a snowplow, and this weird slushy snow was falling at the summit--and I could only go about 5 mph. If I turned off traction control, I could get a little more speed, but it was mostly going sideways, which is not particularly useful. I had to park on the shoulder--it wasn't going anywhere.

I drove a Subaru Impreza today--the stripper model sedan. I was really impressed--very, very nimble handling, and I could definitely feel the benefits of all wheel drive as I was cornering. It is obviously not going to have the cornering capabilities of the Corvette, but it was surprisingly fun to drive because of the crispness of the steering.

I would prefer a station wagon, but the salesman told me that there was no Impreza wagon--you had to move up to the pricier models to get a station wagon. I am going to assume that because he was new there, that he didn't know that there is an Impreza wagon. I can see that the dealer actually has one in inventory, so it couldn't be, "We don't have it so it doesn't exist."

I also drove a 2002 Subaru Outback with 36,000 miles--which they were asking only a few hundred dollars less for it than the new 2008 Impreza. Yes, it was more spacious, but it didn't feel as nimble--and for a used car out of warranty, that's pretty silly.

I suppose that I should drive the Suzuki SX4 Crossover, and maybe the Suzuki Aerio AWD as well. I really, really don't want to give up the Corvette, but it is increasingly apparent that I need something for December through mid-March. The ideal would be if there was someone with a new 4WD who lived in Boise, and was willing to swap it for the Corvette during the winter. But even Boise in winter isn't exactly optimum Corvette driving conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment