Saturday, September 5, 2009

Link Audit Tool

Link Audit Tool

Last year, when I was first laid off by HP, I started writing C#, and sharing my adventures with my readers. One of the programs that I wrote was a web page link auditor, that recursively descends from a web page, checking that all the links point to objects that are still there.

I opened up that program again, partly because I was curious how much I have learned in the intervening ten months, and decided to run it against some of my web pages. Along the way, I found a few mistakes and situations that I hadn't considered previously (single quotes on HREF statements, for example; a HREF that starts with a slash; embedded pound signs in URLs that aren't the beginning of a label). But I also managed to find a lot of links in my web pages that were broken, because of files moving around, and sometimes, especially in my blog, there are lots of references to web pages that are no longer there.

Any way, I using that tool to improve my various pages, and improving the tool along the way. I'll be putting a new and improved version up for others to use in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment