Saturday, August 30, 2008

Plotting Applet

Plotting Applet

Back when I was teaching myself Java, about ten years ago, I wrote a cute little applet to make sure that I knew how to do it. Rather than build something completely useless, or too specific, I thought it would be fun to write a general purpose plotting applet. I used it to plot California county crime data that I had laboriously gathered, but it isn't terribly specific. It will accept any comma separated variable file that meets certain criteria, and plot the data.

It is completely dynamic; it will scale based on the values that you ask it to plot, and it will adjust to conform to the number of rows and columns of data that you provide it. If you give it 30 rows of data, you will get 30 lines drawn. If you give it five lines of data, you will get five lines drawn. It will adjust from two columns to 200 (although it may be very hard to read).

Anyway, if you want to see details, go here. I really enjoyed building this little applet--and I would have loved to have done more of it. Unfortunately, I was utterly unable to find anyone that was interested in having me write Java back then, and now, I'm too rusty to be of any interest to anyone with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment