Tuesday, October 23, 2007

That Glass Top For The Corvette

That Glass Top For The Corvette

I mentioned back in July
a stupid Corvette trick in which I neglected to latch down the glass top on the Corvette before taking off--and the wind picked up the top and sailed it away! After several months of waiting for GM to make a batch of replacements, the body shop called to tell me to come and get it.

It's nice to have a new top, with all new rubber weatherstripping--it is a bit quieter inside, and I am tempted to replace some of the other weatherstripping as well which is showing its age.

To my surprise, I didn't need to turn in the the old, badly scratched glass top, which I had assumed would be required to avoid a core charge. Mid-America Motorworks, for example, charges a $500 core if you can't supply a repairable frame.

So now I find myself with this perfectly good frame, with badly scratch plastic (it's not really glass), and I'm hoping that someone would be interested in buying it outright either so that they can use the frame to do a rebuild, or because even a scratched top is better than a busted one. (And yes, I emailed Mid-America Motorworks, who did not respond.)

I would think that it would be worth at least $200 to a 1997-2004 Corvette owner who has fallen on hard times, but still needs something to keep the rain out.



Click to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment