Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Extreme Weapons

It sounds like a way of marketing guns to the 20somethings who are partial to extreme sports and extreme caffeinated beverages. But unfortunately, it is how Mitt Romney has chosen to characterize the one class of weapons most clearly protected by the Second Amendment in a letter to Red's Trading Post:

I firmly believe in the importance of responsible gun ownership and sales. As a member of the National Rifle Association, I do not believe that we need any more federal gun control laws. I also recognize that some types of extreme weapons, those which were not meant for hunting, sport, or self-defense, have no business being on the streets. [emphasis added]
I was skeptical of Romney's sudden concern about the Second Amendment after having been governor of Massachusetts and this gives me more reason to be skeptical. President Bush, similarly equivocated about so-called assault weapons during the 2000 campaign--but at least had a good record as Governor of Texas and for some reason never had an assault weapon ban bill show up on his desk as President.

I'm not a single issue voter, but I was skeptical of Romney's honesty about being a conservative, and this puts another nail in the coffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment