Sunday, June 3, 2007

A Bit More About the Cruise

These are big ships. As we were approaching our ship, the Sun Princess, we were handed a schematic map with dimensions--about as big as the Titanic, one of the largest passenger liners of its era. (Maybe not the best comparison to make....) If you haven't been up close to one...


Click to enlarge



Click to enlarge


This may give a bit better idea of their scale, from the dock at Skagway.


Click to enlarge


They are also luxurious--at least in the common areas. I really don't have any pictures that convey this adequately, but imagine the nicest fancy hotel in a big city--and that's about what they are like.

The staterooms are another matter. As you might expect on a ship, most of the rooms are efficient in their use of space. We had an interior double cabin, and it was tight. Suggestion: my son and a friend shared another interior double cabin with the two beds on opposite sides of the room--and it felt far larger.

The bathroom is compact. You can wash your hands without getting off the toilet.

In retrospect, I think the interior double wasn't necessarily a good choice. Not being able to see outside was, as I have previously mentioned, somewhat claustrophobic, and I also think that I might have done better about motion sickness if I had been able to see the outside. It was also very easy to sleep in without exterior sources of light. It makes me glad to be back home, in my own little bed with a window that opens!

No comments:

Post a Comment