Friday, June 29, 2007

Getting More Clever on the ScopeRoller Web Pages

I decided to redo the webpages so that the ordering buttons were more consistent in appearance, and easier to maintain, so I changed the pages to use server side includes. (A "server side include" is a method of making a particular collection of stuff appear throughout a web page without having to make multiple copies of it.) Along the way, I made the directory buttons at the top of each page use a server side include to make it easier to update these. I can change one file, and get all the directories to update at once.

I could make this even more clever, rewriting it all in Perl, but that's too much like my day job! Anyway, it is now a lot easier to add more ordering buttons for different countries, so I will probably add Britain, Australia, and New Zealand next.

No comments:

Post a Comment