Sunday, April 26, 2009

My First Wasp Sting

My First Wasp Sting

I had never been stung by a bee or a wasp. Perhaps for that reason, I'm very afraid of them. Many, many years ago, when I was quite young, I was at a picnic north of Los Angeles, eating apple pie. A bee landed on my lip, and walked around for what seemed like five minutes, but was probably only a few seconds, before it flew away.

Anyway, Friday I reached into the mailbox, to grab the mail. As I grabbed onto the collection of mostly junk mail, I felt something like a cross between electric shock and fire in my finger--and then I saw the wasp in between the envelopes.

Our mail carrier often puts dryer sheets (the things that are supposed to make your clothes soft and fluffy) in our mailbox, I think because they discourage wasps from hanging out there. Over winter, there wasn't much need. I think we'll put the dryer sheets in ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment