Friday, November 14, 2008

My Literary Agent Has Retired

My Literary Agent Has Retired

If you have some positive experience with an agent getting a publisher for your book, please let me know. My agent did say,
I did give the first 30 or so pages of your book a quick read. It's an interesting take on an important subject and well written, so I'm fairly confident the right agent will be able to place it at the right home for it.
Nelson Current published my previous book, and the contract gives them right of first refusal for this book. (I'm still waiting to hear from them.) The book is tentatively titled Personal Tragedies: Mental Illness, Deinstitutionalization, and Homelessness.

Books about mental illness fit into two broad categories: personal accounts of what happened to a family member; and scholarly histories. I get the impression that the former sell well, but don't much move the public policy discussion, while books in the latter category don't sell well at all. My book is something of a hybrid, in that some chapters recount the tragedy that overcame my older brother, and other chapters examine the history of deinstitutionalization and its effects
on our society. I am hoping that the combination may result in a book that sells well, and influences public policy. But I'll be happy if it just sells well!

You can see a list of my books at http://www.claytoncramer.com/books/books.htm;
scholarly articles at http://www.claytoncramer.com/scholarly/journals.htm;
popular magazine articles at http://www.claytoncramer.com/popular/popularmagazines.htm. Oh yes, the Supreme Court cited some of my work in a recent decision, D.C. v. Heller (2008).

Suggestions? Recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment