Friday, November 28, 2008

Life After HP

Life After HP

I went down into Boise on Monday to get a small rip in the Corvette's upholstery repaired. I first notice this small tear in the vinyl on the side of the driver's seat about 2003 or 2004, and someone did a repair of it with a vinyl repair kit. It looked great for several years--but started to come back again.

So I went to someone that I found by making calls out of the phone book, Jay Van Houten, who is the local franchisee of Mobile Appearance Reconditioning Service (M.A.R.S.--hence the alien on the business card). It turned out that he was laid off from HP about three years ago, and like me, found out that he was too young to retire and too old to get another job. Since he liked working on cars, he purchased the local MARS franchise, and now does this.

I was very pleased with the job he did repairing the tear--pointing out that whoever did the vinyl repair several years ago neglected to put a backing underneath the material, which is why it tore again. The backing sheet provides something to which the vinyl repair goo can bind the torn sections of material.

If you are in need of detailing, glass repair, interior or exterior refurbishing of your car, I can recommend Jay's work. (208) 412-3444, or jvanhoute@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment