Saturday, June 14, 2008

Turnbuckles And Threading

Turnbuckles And Threading

I tried to add the last two stiffening components to Big Bertha this afternoon. Because I didn't measure the length of the cable quite right, I decided to solve the problem by cutting some of the excess metal out of the bolts that turn into the turnbuckle. The first try worked great. On the second turnbuckle, I chewed up the threads on the bolt.

So the simple solution was to re-thread the bolt. But I forgot that the threads in the turnbuckle are the opposite direction of the standard thread direction--so if I turn the turnbuckle, it doesn't tighten the cable at all.

Oh well, at least the turnbuckles are cheap. I'll buy another one tomorrow and replace the chewed up part, and the cable that is attached to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment