Friday, March 21, 2008

It's Official

I filed the Petition of Candidacy with the Idaho Secretary of State's office to run for state senate district 22. I'm led to believe that because of the Republican dominance of the two counties that make up the district (Boise and Elmore), if I beat the incumbent in the primary, winning the general election shouldn't be hopelessly difficult. The 2006 Boise County election results for the U.S. House seat was 51.6% for Republican (and a very conservative Republican, Bill Sali, who was despised by the leftist media). In Elmore County, which is a different U.S. House seat, it was 67.9% for the Republican.

I will be opening a checking account for the campaign on Monday, and setting up a PayPal account to accept donations from the Internet as well. If you think that your contribution can't make much of a difference--there were less than 10,000 votes cast in my district in the 2006 for Congress--so it doesn't take an enormous amount of money to elect me. And especially when the incumbent received a C rating from NRA at the last election, and introduced a bill to add "sexual orientation and gender identity" to the state's employment discrimination law. The biggest town in my district is an Air Force base; the second biggest town has a mandatory gun ownership law.

I also need to create a web page for the campaign. I've usually thrown web pages together (and yes, "thrown" is the right word) from raw HTML in the past. Does anyone have a suggestion for a quick and elegant looking HTML template for this sort of thing?

UPDATE: I'm told the beard has to go--Idahoans may have beards (at least the men), but they won't vote for men with beards.

No comments:

Post a Comment