Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Nigerian Scamsters Seem To Be Getting Smarter

The Nigerian Scamsters Seem To Be Getting Smarter

I received an email that was actually written in competent English--you could almost think this guy was an American:
Good Day,
My name is Jim White, a member of the U.S. ARMY 3rd Infantry Division in
Iraq. I would like to share some highly classified information about my personal experience and the role which I played in the pursuit of my career serving in the U.S. ARMY. However, I would like to hold back certain information for security reasons until you have the time to visit the BBC website stated below. This will enable you to have insight as to what I'm intending to share with you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm
Please get back to me after visiting the above referenced website to enable us to discuss the matter more. I'm uncomfortable sending this message to you without knowing if you are indeed with me or you decide to go public.
Sincerely,

Jim
That's a nice twist--a link to a legitimate news source, in this case, a BBC story:

Foreign currency worth nearly $200m has been found in a Baghdad neighbourhood, the US military say.

Troops found $100m and 90m euros in 31 containers, US Central Command said.

The money has been flown out of the country to a "secure location" for counting purposes and will eventually be returned to Iraq to help rebuild the country, the US said.

Last week, US troops found more than $650m in the same area of Baghdad.

Soldiers questioned

The latest banknotes were discovered between 23 and 26 April in an area of Baghdad secured by members of the US 3rd Infantry Division, according to a US statement.

The problem, of course, is that the news story is dated April 30, 2003. So my response to "Sgt. Jim White" was:
I think if you waited this long (more than five years ago on that news story), it's probably because you moved to Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment