Thursday, February 7, 2008

Grow Up, Everyone

Yes, I'm disappointed. Yes, I won't trust McCain on much of anything but War on Terror and maybe gun rights. But ask yourself: would you rather have a President who can't be trusted, and may do the wrong thing on issue after issue? Or a President that you can count on to do the wrong thing on all the same issues? And probably screw up the War on Terror as well?

I can't quite figure out what went wrong here. I know that there are still conservatives in America, and since I have some readers who approve of what I say, I know that there's more than one or two of them. But we better get our act together, darn quick, or we are going to start lose not just at the national level, but the state levels as well.

Who will McCain pick for VP? Some cynics have suggested Joe Lieberman. Others have suggested Romney (good choice), Fred Thompson (better choice), Mike Huckabee (bad choice, made especially so because of his strong physical resemblance to the VP in season four of 24. (And no, I don't think that Huckabee would be that useless.)

Remember that McCain stands a pretty decent chance of not surviving his term. That's not a wish, nor is a suggestion. It's just a harsh reality of the abuse he suffered, his health, and his age. It would be really nice if it turns out that the reason Romney pulled out of the race was in exchange for the VP slot. Not perfect, of course, but it might put Massachusetts and perhaps a couple of the other New England states in play for the Republicans. Not necessarily winnable, but at least the Democrats would have to spend some time and money to hold those states.

In the meantime: we have to figure a way to at least hold Republican and conservative Democrat seats in the House, and if possible, retake the House. (At least not lose any more seats in the Senate.) Based on last time, what is going to make this possible will be Democrats who are weak, or scandal ridden. Unfortunately, the only example I know of right now is my U.S. Senator Larry "Wide Stance" Craig--and he's a Republican.

We also need to be grooming some Republicans in state legislatures who can move up to Congress later. Of course, maybe I'm kidding myself. Maybe there aren't that many conservatives left in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment