Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Corvette and Extended Warranty

I mentioned last week
that I had bought a very long term extended warranty for the Corvette back in 2002. It just paid for itself with one repair. The fuel gauge has been intermittently reporting no gas, and then sometimes starting to work again. It turned into a hard failure last week, so I went into the dealer--and it turns out that this is about a $2000 repair. Why?

It turns out that the Corvette actually has two gas tanks, one of which feeds the other, which in turn feeds the engine. I suspect that someone didn't want the gasoline sloshing around in a single tank, causing sudden and unexpected swings of weight over the rear axle. But this means that there are two fuel pumps tied into the fuel sensor.

The extended warranty company (which I won't name until they've paid the bill) has been making this as difficult as possible, probably because they weren't expecting this to be so expensive. On most Chevrolets, a repair like this would be a few hundred dollars--not $2000.

I am beginning to wonder if I should plan on selling the Corvette when the extended warranty expires in September 2008. I love the car, but I do need a 4WD or AWD or winter driving--and maybe it makes more sense to look for something that can accomplish both ends. Is there something like a Subaru WRX that doesn't suffer from the boy racer look? (Yeah, the Corvette isn't exactly subtle, but it's a sophisticated sports car look, not a "I'm 19, and look at the obnoxious car that I bought" look.)

No comments:

Post a Comment