Sunday, July 18, 2010

Manufacturing in Aluminum

I am beginning to switch over from manufacturing my casters assemblies entirely in acetal to primarily aluminum, for a variety of reasons that I have discussed previously.  I was a little unsure if I was going to get a pretty finish on the aluminum or not--but here's the first article for one of the round sleeve models.



It is gorgeous--and all I had to do was to hold some 150 emery cloth to it while it was turning it on the lathe!

The first happy customer for the aluminum version for the new Losmandy Lightweight tripod sent me these pictures.



This picture emphasizes how well the Deluxe wheels work in high grass.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty. (Reminds me of what I did to the forks of my old GB-550K with a wire wheel in the angle grinder. It looked so much better). You might also look into getting one of those little sandblasting cabinets and some really find grit aluminum oxide or glass bead media (and a huge compressor, sandblasting is an air pig) for a really nice frosted look on parts you can't reach all the crannies on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately, there are no so crannies--or at least, the customer won't see them!

    ReplyDelete