Monday, September 22, 2008

Dialup

Dialup

While my wireless Internet service is still out, I am reduced to using dialup! For blogging, getting and responding to email, 36.8 kbps really isn't all that bad. The real loss involves uploads and downloads of large files. For example, one of law reviews couldn't find copies of British Cabinet papers from 1919-20 in their library (surprise, surprise). I fortunately scanned all these documents in when I did the research for this paper several years ago, and I emailing them right now--but when you are sending a document of this size, you wish that you had a broadband connection!

UPDATE: It turns out that the wireless router, perhaps because of the lightning storm Friday night, became a packetless router, as well. Very odd--even the tech guy from BitSmart was surprised to see the user interface responding through 192.168.1.1, but the far side interface was apparently not passing packets.

I'm using an older Linksys router that is not wireless as a stopgap measure--I suppose that I should have tried this before calling out BitSmart on this--although to be fair, this is the first time that I have had a failure of my equipment. Fortunately, just about everyone carries wireless routers now. I'm surprised that you can't get one with your Happy Meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment