Monday, August 25, 2008

The Blade Fell Today

The Blade Fell Today

It was a very sizable lay-off--and I am part of it. There are five weeks during which I am still considered to be working for them, helping to transition my responsibilities over to others (it won't take that long), and four weeks beyond that when I have no job responsibilities, but remain on salary and with full benefits--so that takes me through October 31st.

In theory, I might be able to find another job with the company. I have applied for a couple of positions in Boise, and and half a dozen positions in other divisions scattered around the U.S. Perhaps I can work something out to telecommute, or work one or two weeks a month on site. I'm not holding my breath on this possibility.

In the meantime, I am sending my resume around. There are a few jobs here in Boise (and gobs of competition from other soon to be ex-HP employees). The resume aimed at engineering work is here; the academic C.V. is here. It is a bit late to be looking for a teaching job for the fall, unfortunately.

In the meantime, I will be putting my energy into ScopeRoller; the double secret startup idea that I am trying to get funded; writing articles for popular magazines (because that pays, unlike doing the serious scholarly stuff); and trying to finish the book on deinstutionalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment