Thursday, June 14, 2007

Machining Again--And An Information Request

I mentioned two days ago
that I didn't think I could machine the part that I needed to make out of one piece of Delrin--at least, in any reasonable period of time. I spent some more time rotating the workpiece through all three degrees of motion (at least in my head), and I figured out how to do it.

However: there is quite a bit of material to remove, and a Sherline vertical mill isn't the fastest way to remove stuff quickly. I am thinking that I might want to use another tool to remove a lot of the Delrin, and then use the vertical mill for the precision part of the job. I need to cut a .17" wide by 1.57" deep edge on one side, and a .57" x 1.57" edge on another side--and a .71" wide slot through the middle.

My suspicion is that a router table might provide a lesser level of precision than that of the mill, along with the power to remove big chunks in a hurry. I suspect that a router table and router would allow me to remove a 1/8" x 1 1/2" strip on one side, and a 1/2" x 1 1/2" strip on the other--and make a 1/2" wide, 1 1/2" deep slot down the middle. If so, the vertical mill operation (which for my purposes has to be only .01" accurate) would go from thirty minutes to perhaps five minutes.

So, anyone with experience using a router? I've seen them used to make decorative moldings before, so I know that they can make a nice oddly shaped edge. Can they do something as deep as 1 1/2"?

No comments:

Post a Comment