Monday, July 14, 2008

Need A Suggestion For a Part

Need A Suggestion For a Part

I have a screw that will be lifting a plate through about a 40 degree turn--but because of the angle that it will be at, the plate has to be captive. I can't just put a screw under the plate--I have to make sure that the upper plate won't go flying freely, and when I turn the screw back that it pulls the plate back down.



I had thought of using a ball joint or a clevis joint to allow the pivot. Ball joints in this size (like, 1/4" threads) don't have enough angle of motion. Clevis joints do, but clevis joints I can find are usually threaded, so turning the screw to move the plate up and down will be turning the joint round and round. Any suggestions? Is there a part intended for this? Perhaps something that might be used in model aircraft that allows a screw motion to move a part up and down?

UPDATE: One reader suggested a universal joint. A universal joint transfers rotation. In this case, I don't really want to do that. (Or need to--and since this might go into mass production, I'm looking for a cheap and simple way to do this.) Ideally, I want something that lets the screw coming up from the bottom move the upper plate up and down, while the joint allows the angle to change. This won't be moving quickly and very far.

UPDATE 2: Thank you for all the useful suggestions. I think I have enough now to figure out a solution!

No comments:

Post a Comment