Monday, August 31, 2009

Job Test Tomorrow

Job Test Tomorrow

A tutoring operation that preps high school kids for the SAT/ACT wants me to come in and take the ACT tomorrow. I would hope that I would do pretty well on it; I did score 97th percentile on the Math part of the SAT, and upper half of the 99th percentile on the Verbal part. And I was 16 at the time. I would like to think that I might do a bit better now.

There's no benefits, and the pay isn't particularly impressive, but it's quite a bit better than unemployment, and who knows? If I do that for 10-15 years, I might have enough experience to teach at a community college.

UPDATE: I'm looking at this list of trigonometry identities, and I must have had all these memorized back when I was young (I think I got an A in trig--which was atypical for me in a math class)--but I can't imagine how! Maybe I better hope that I do better on the science parts. Fortunately, phlogiston theory had been abandoned somewhat before my time; ditto for the ether's role in propagating light.

UPDATE 2: Any suggestions on how to remember the Law of Cosines? Law of Sines is easy; keeping the Law of Cosines in my brain for more than few minutes is going to take some work, or a clever mnemonic.

No comments:

Post a Comment