Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Remote Desktop Connection Problem Solved

The Remote Desktop Connection Problem Solved

It turns out that my LAN used the addresses 192.168.1.*. So did the company's LAN. When I set up the VPN, it created a virtual IP address to send to from my end: 192.168.1.228. At the other end, it was trying to open a connection to 192.168.1.232 (the IP address of the remote computer). Not surprisingly, it got very confused, and decided that I was trying to open a connection to a device here in Horseshoe Bend. My guess is that it worked in Bend because the LAN there wasn't using 192.168.1.*.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions, and for the reader who suggested this possibility, and let me open a Remote Desktop Connection to his PC to verify that RDC actually was working.

No comments:

Post a Comment