Monday, July 16, 2007

Gee, I Wonder Why

Instapundit has a wondrously droll criticism of the new book: The Trap: Selling Out to Stay Afloat in Winner-Take-All America:

As with Anya Kamenetz's Generation Debt, this seems like more excessive complaint from the privileged classes. (Brook and Kamenetz overlapped at Yale, in fact). And is it really true, as the back cover asserts, that only the "corporate elite" can now enjoy middle-class comforts?

I opened Brook's book up and saw this passage:

After graduating Yale in 2003 with a double major in film studies and gender studies, Tara moved to San Francisco to pursue queer documentary filmmaking. She settled in the Castro district, the historic epicenter of American gay culture, and quickly discovered plenty of enticing projects. "There were lots of opportunities to do film and to help people with their films, but no one had any money to pay me so I did a lot of volunteering and part-time work," she told me in a Castro coffee shop.

My goodness. What message could the market system have been trying to send?

Gee, I'm surprised Tara didn't get a MacArthur Fellowship, and funding from George Soros' Open Society Foundation. (Okay, I'm not really surprised, but if they had, it wouldn't have surprised me, either.)

There is nothing so obnoxious as members of America's overprivileged elite whining that the whole society doesn't roll over for them and give them the money to do what they want. Tara might have to wait until she inherits Daddy's millions before she can work on destroying what's left of American culture that is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment