Sunday, January 18, 2004

The Internet, Revolutionizing Commerce



Yes, there's a bad side to the Internet--it makes it easier to outsource software engineering jobs to Third World countries. (From what I know of the price advantage, however, American companies can compete on price, if they have reasonable overhead, and aren't suffering from big company bloat.)



Here's a good side. I drove all over Boise yesterday looking for a 5mm threaded knob, to use for attaching my Photon Instruments refractors rings to my Cave Optical mount. I needed one that was 25-30mm long, instead of 15mm long. Everywhere I tried, I received the same reactions, either amused or bewildered. "I don't know where you would get something like that."



I went to McMaster-Carr's web site, searched for "knob," and in a few minutes, I found just about an exact match. I ordered two of them online for $1.22 each (plus shipping).



No comments:

Post a Comment