Saturday, May 24, 2008

Dialing for Votes

The conversations that I am having with voters that I call on the phone are very interesting. Generally, I'm getting:

1. Largely friendly reactions, not committing one way or the other, but often asking questions about where I stand on issues that they care about.

2. People who are committed to voting for me because of Corder's support for S.1323, the sexual orientation bill. (And many of these are former Californians, who know where this takes us.)

3. A couple of people very committed to Corder--to the point of being uninterested in talking.

4. One reminder that you should never let how well someone fits a demographic profile cause you to make assumptions. I talked to a 78 year old Republican woman who was very concerned about the religious right's influence in the Republican Party--in particular, because of her support for same-sex marriage. But she seemed to be pretty libertarian, and was planning to vote for me because she agrees that the government shouldn't be telling people what they do in private--and that includes hiring decisions.

5. One person who indicated that she and her husband were going to vote for me because they had some personal run-in with Corder, and were so upset with him that they wanted him out of office. Maybe not the best reason to vote for me, but I'll take the votes where I can get them!

No comments:

Post a Comment