Saturday, August 18, 2007

Lunatic Fringers


I take a look to see who is linking to me, and sometimes, I am just astonished. For example, this paranoid blog linked to my 1995 History Today article about the plot to overthrow Franklin Roosevelt. Why? Because America is on the edge of a military coup d'etat:

THE CHRISTIANIZED MILITARY:
Add to this, the takeover of our military by unquestioning evangelical officers and we are another step closer to a single-party state run by the Bush/Cheney/Rove/Gonzales team. As documented in a recent interview of Michael L. Weinstein on Los Angeles City Beat, LA City Beat states, “He [Weinstein] found an unconstitutional infiltration of the entire U.S. armed forces by believers of ‘dominionist Christianity,’ who reserve the right to either convert or kill anyone, including American soldiers, who doesn’t believe in what Weinstein calls a ‘weaponized Jesus Christ’ – and use your tax money to do it. ”
Here are a few excerpts of Mr. Wienstein from that interview. Where he uses the phrase dominionist Christians, just substitute right-wing authoritarian.
If all the "dominionist Christians" in the United States got together and organized a coup d'etat, there wouldn't be enough of them to take over Horseshoe Bend. I'm pretty sure that I've never met one. The only place that I have ever seen a "dominionist Christian" is being interviewed on some Bill Moyers documentary.

I ran into a book in an airport bookstore recently that blathered on about the imminent dominionist Christian takeover of America, and the more I read, the more I began to wonder what country he had been visiting. I sense a lot of projection going on from the left; because they are intent on imposing their viewpoint on the majority (which even many liberals would be taken aback by), they assume that anyone that disagrees with them is on the edge of coup d'etat.

No comments:

Post a Comment